In November, my mom and I had lunch at French Press Crepes (AMAZING. If you’re in the Salem area and never been there, go. Go now.). Afterwards, we walked across the parking lot to a small boutique called Blackberries. Most things were pretty pricey and I wasn’t interested in much (too many DIY projects make you not want to ever pay full price for anything!).
However, we did find this cute faux chandelier:
(Yeah, I made my mom stand by it and look at it so that it wasn’t as obvious that I was taking a photo with my iphone. :))
Mom thought it was so cute! The price tag, however, was not so cute. $69 for a foam board/glitter faux chandelier?? No thanks. I told mom, “I can make that!” (Mom believed me that I could make it. At the time, I doubt mom really believed that I would make it though. I may have made that promise a few times before and haven’t shown much for my promises yet.)
But mom liked it so much that I thought it would be a great DIY Christmas project. Plus, I love trying new things and I definitely haven’t attempted anything like this before. I was game for it. 🙂
I went to Michael’s and gathered my supplies:
Two black foam boards
Martha Stewart Black Glitter (I LOVE Martha Stewart glitter, btw.)
I decided the best way to make the chandelier was to draw out 1/4 of the design onto an unfolded paper bag. I pulled up the original picture of my mom with the chandelier and sketched and recreated the chandelier with the amount of space that I had available for my boards.
It actually was a lot quicker process than I thought it would be and in 5 minutes I came up with this:
I cut it out with scissors and using the product sticker that was already on the foam board, I secured the cut out to the foam board where I wanted it. I used the product sticker instead of tape because I knew that the sticker would come off without taking off the foam paper because that’s what it was made to do. I thought tape would destroy the foam board too much when I removed it.
Then I flipped it over and traced the other side.
I repeated the process for the second board.
The top and bottom got cut off in the picture…
Once I had them both traced, I got out my self healing board and two different exacto knives.
I used the big one for the main cutting out and the little one for the detailed curves and small cut outs.
When they were both cut out, I laid them on top of each other and determined where to make the cut outs to slide them together. I marked the top on one side and the bottom on the other side and cut out a strip as thick as the depth of each foam board was.
Then, doing it in thirds (because Mod Podge dries quickly) I Mod Podged and glittered the heck out of each board, both sides!
This took a couple hours to complete with drying time
and chasing a 10 month old around.
When they were really dry, I slid the two pieces together and put Mod Podge and glitter all over the edges. Again, it took patience with the drying time before I could turn the chandelier around and do the opposite sides. And I’m not a patient person, so this part was the worst for me. (After a few days of working on this, I just wanted my dining room table back!!)
After it was completely dry, I shook the excess glitter off, tied a black and white polka dot ribbon around the top and called it good!
And in the end, I think the wait was worth it. 🙂
I’m pleased with how it turned out and think it looks very similar to the original inspiration. 🙂
Once more, the original: Mine:
Oh, and P.S. Mom was thrilled (and probably a little surprised) when I gifted it to her on Christmas and she saw one of my “I can make that!” claims to be fruitful. 😉