I have another blog friend I want to introduce you to! Her name is Ann Marie and she blogs at White House, Black Shutters.
I first found her when I searched the interwebs for a good tutorial on making your own baby wipes. I found her tutorial and “followed her” pretty quickly after looking around her site and saw that she looked like a “fun mom” blog! After a few months of following her, I made the connection that I also followed her mother in law’s blog by complete coincidence! Her MIL and I had emailed back and forth a few times about baby shampoo and what not, before I found Ann Marie’s blog. Kinda funny. All the sudden, I felt like I was “part of the family”. 😉
Anyway, I wanted to tell you about the homemade baby wipes! We started using them about 4 months ago now and LOVE them. They are so easy to make (less than 10 minutes to make 2 “batches”, which last me about 2-3 weeks).
We were initially interested in making our own for two reasons: cost and chemicals. We didn’t like the idea of using harsh chemicals found in other wipes on Zeek.
These wipes use coconut oil, water and a squirt of organic baby wash and paper towels. We currently use Burt’s Bee’s Fragrance Free Baby Shampoo and Wash…but as soon as we’re out of this bottle we have, we’re going to switch to using just some of the bar soap that Skyler makes (which is made of coconut oil, olive oil and shea butter).
Anyway – if you’re interested in making homemade wipes (SO EASY, seriously. And they work awesome. I feel like they clean better than Huggies wipes, which is what we had been using.), go check out Ann Marie’s tutorial on them, found here, and learn how to turn this:
A couple tips from my experience with them:
- I end up using a little bit less water – about a cup and 2/3 because otherwise I feel like I’m wringing them out as I get to the end of the “batch”.
- Instead of using the “select a size” type, I use the regular roll, because I personally like having the longer wipes! (But it’s totally a preference thing, the select a size works good too; we just have a lot of blow-outs in this house! Yes, even though he’s one…:))
- I use a bit more coconut oil than Ann Marie’s “recipe” because I feel like it makes it slick off of his bum a little easier!
- These smell SO good! I love the slight coconut scent!
- I found my tubs at Target. They are the perfect size for them and I love that they have the 4 tabs on the lid because it makes it an easy tub to open one-handed, when you’re holding your wriggly guy’s feet with the other hand. 🙂